Tales From The Dark Side of Humor

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Black Hair

Damn, I've been writing alot today. Anywhow, this Chinese lady who works in another office that mine came to visit for a second with a question for me. Let's call her Chun-Li. So Chun-Li looks at a picture of my goddaughter that I have up on my wall and she tells me that she is very cute. I say thank you very much, I know this! She then asks, if Black people are generally born very fair-skinned. I responded that I didn't know if it was a general rule, but that my goddaughter was indeed very pale when she was born two years ago. After answering this question I could just see the floodgate about to errupt. Chun-Li has only been in the states about 10-15 years, and you can tell that she is still adjusting to the multicultural aspects of New York as opposed to what she was used to in the Far East.

She then informed me that she has to ask such questions because she didn't know! She then explaied that when she used to see a Black woman with chemically straightened hair that she would think that the woman's hair was naturally that straight! She also thought that afros were fake!!! Talk about reversal. But wait, there is more. The kicker is that when she first moved to the states, she kept on hearing that many people couldn't tell Asian people apart. She then admitted that at first she thought everyone else looked alike!! She couldn't tell Black people apart from white people!!! Is this feasible?!!?!?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home