Tales From The Dark Side of Humor

Thursday, August 25, 2005

The Little Radio That Could

One of the sour point about my job is the fact that at times it can be very tedious. We have a ton of paperwork, files, and just plain old red tape that we have to manage on a daily basis to make sure we get the job done. Which means that there may be literally, entire days in which we are engaged in mindless tedious work that seems to have no end. I don't know about you all, but nothing bores the shit out of me more than mindless work for hours apon hours. The only thing that makes this bearable is the fact that we have a little office radio that we put on every morning, and play until 5:00 every afternoon. This radio has got to be at least 10 years old, as it has an old school analog dial, a tape player, and even an FM "boost" button. Suffice it to say, it can be here and there with reception.

I would love this little office radio whole-heartedly, if not for the fact that I work with two older white ladies. Guess what we play on this little radio every day? Giant hint: It's not the urban station. While I'd love to be listening to the likes of 50 Cent, Sean Paul, and maybe even a little Fantasia (though that chick's voice gets on my damn nerves sometimes), instead I get Lite FM, and the likes of Foreigner, Kelly Clarkson, Los Lonely Boys, and Dido (I have grown fond of that song that Eminem sampled for "Stan" - its' kinda hot) - you get the picture. While this selection of music is bearable, I hear the same damn songs EVERYDAY, which can at times become tiring. It's even worse around Christmas time, when Lite FM plays nothing but Christmas songs. Try listening to the same rotation of about 20 Christmas jingles every day for about 3 weeks!

So, you can imagine how happy I get when I'm all alone in the office. I secretly sneak to the radio, and I change the damn station! I have to be careful when doing that though - Anyone can hear what I'm playing if they walk into my office. I've had a few instances where the unsuspecting yuppy walks into my office, hears something objectionable on the radio, gives me that good old cross-eyed stare for a few seconds, and then talks to me. When I can, I turn the radio as low as possible if I know someone is about to enter the shop. Alright, faithful followers, I gotta run, the Barbara Streisand is on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home