Tales From The Dark Side of Humor

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Blah Blah Friggin Blah

During the glorious days of summer I receive a bit of a reprieve. The Director and Babs usually take their billion days of vacation during August, which leave me at peace to do whatever the hell I want, at my own pace, and quietly. The Director just left yesterday to go on an extravagant vacation with her husband while Babs and MJ have been spending their extravagant vacation on their behinds at home. I woke up this morning a little happier than most mornings, knowing that I would be completely alone today. I packed a couple of DVD's, I brought my iPod computer connector, and a good book - I was set to take advantage of a vacation day at work.

I arrived at 8:30 this morning, opened my office door, and saw a glorious sight - no one back there! I was in heaven. I sat down at my computer, powered it on, and decided to surf the net for a few minutes before getting into my proper activities for the day. Suddenly the phone rang, and I thought, this had better be friggin quick. "Hello," I answered. It was the director. She was cheery as usual, and at the airport awaiting her flight to paradise. As I conversed with her about her upcoming journey I wondered - who bothers to call their office to check in an hour before they take off on a great vacation? I know she trusts me (at least I think she does), so I still can't figure it out. Anyhow, I spaced out on most of the conversation, saying "uh-huh," and "sounds like fun," "enjoy," "take lots of pictures," and "we'll miss you here" quite a few times. Before I knew it, the blah, blah, blahs turned into "have a wonderful week!"

I settled back to my morning chores of procrastination when the phone rang again! This time it was Babs!!! "Hi!!!...... Whatcha doin?...... Is it quiet there today?" I'm doing shit, and yes Babs, it is quiet - until you friggin broke the silence in here. It turned out that Babs actually had more in mind to discuss that the quiet in the office. She couldn't get on to her email at home, so I helped her to download our actual email client, and walked her through the steps of setting it up. Next thing I knew, she wanted to know how to import a chart into a word document that she was helping her son, the Prince with. Come on!! Does this sound like little shop biz to you? Before you know it, I was on the phone with her for 45 minutes, and she still couldn't figure this all out. I finally got her to accept the fact that she was going to have to find another way around this by tuning her out. But she's a sneaky old broad - "He needs to have this done by tomorrow! And we just have to have this chart in!" I sucked it up, pretty much did the damn thing myself, emailed it back to her, and then listened to her kiss my ass for 10 minutes before hanging up. A whole hour and a half wasted on Babs!! On my vacation day! Sigh, the movie will have to wait...

3 Comments:

Blogger Prince Akeem said...

What movie(s) were you planning on watching? I definitely have days like that at work, however we aren't even allowed to have AIM on our computers, forget bringing in a DVD. Damn compliance regulations...

11:20 AM

 
Blogger Stephane King said...

Playa, dvd's cannot be traced... I was planning on watching "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "The Bourne Identity"

11:52 AM

 
Blogger Kim Plaintive said...

You realize Babs has the hots for you.

12:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home